Luisant – Code of Conduct
The Code of Conduct which follows is an extension of Gothic: The Lion Age’s existing Code of Conduct, which can be found here. Gothic: Luisant endorses and will uphold all tenets laid out in the aforementioned Gothic: the Lion Age Code of Conduct.
Any changes made to Gothic: Luisant’s Code of Conduct will be announced on the Gothic: Luisant Facebook group.
Gothic: Luisant is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of community members in any form.
In-game actions between characters are expected to be fictitious, and not directed at the actual people involved. Intentionally choosing a character’s in-game actions to direct harassing behavior at a person is a violation of the Code of Conduct.
If a community member believes that a character’s in-game action is being intentionally used to sidestep the Code of Conduct, the affected person may report the behavior and an investigation will be launched. When in-game action accidentally causes real distress or discomfort, players & staff are expected to attempt to find a reasonable resolution that avoids that distress.
This Code of Conduct is broadly applicable to all spaces where Gothic: Luisant community members interact and is not limited to Gothic: Luisant official spaces. This includes both online and off. Anyone who violates this code of conduct may be sanctioned at the discretion of the Staff team. Staff reserves the right to require any individual to leave the event site. Event fee(s) will be reimbursed if applicable.
Some Gothic: Luisant spaces may have additional rules in place, which will be made clearly available to participants. Participants are responsible for knowing and abiding by these rules.
Harassment includes but is not limited to:
- Offensive comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, mental illness, neuro(a)typicality, physical appearance, body size, age, race, or religion.
- Unwelcome comments regarding a person’s lifestyle choices and practices, including but not limited to those related to food, health, parenting, relationships, drugs, and employment.
- Deliberate misgendering or use of ‘dead’ or rejected names.
- Physical contact and simulated physical contact (eg, textual descriptions like “*hug*” or “*backrub*”) without consent or after a request to stop.
- Threats of violence.
- Incitement of violence towards any individual, including encouraging a person to commit suicide or to engage in self-harm.
- Deliberate intimidation.
- Stalking or following.
- Harassing photography or recording, including logging online activity for harassment purposes.
- Unwelcome sexual attention.
- Pattern of inappropriate social contact, such as requesting/assuming inappropriate levels of intimacy with others.
- Continued one-on-one communication after requests to cease.
- Deliberate “outing” of any aspect of a person’s identity without their consent except as necessary to protect vulnerable people from intentional abuse.
- Publication of non-harassing private communication.
- Contacting Staff via unofficial means to discuss Gothic: Luisant-related topics without express consent of the Staff member involved.
Gothic: Luisant prioritizes marginalized people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort. Staff reserves the right not to act on complaints regarding:
- ‘Reverse’ -isms, including ‘reverse racism,’ ‘reverse sexism,’ and ‘cisphobia’.
- Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as “leave me alone,” “go away,” or “I’m not discussing this with you.”
- Communicating in a ‘tone’ you don’t find congenial.
- Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions.
If you are being harassed by a member of Gothic: Luisant, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact Staff via the Code of Conduct reporting form. If the person who is harassing you is on the Staff team, they will be recused from handling your incident. We will respond as promptly as we can.
This code of conduct applies to Gothic: Luisant spaces, but if you are being harassed by a member of Gothic: Luisant outside our spaces, it is equally relevant and you are encouraged to report it. We will take all good-faith reports of harassment by Gothic: Luisant members, especially Staff, seriously. This includes harassment outside our spaces and harassment that took place at any point in time. The Staff team reserves the right to exclude people from Gothic: Luisant based on their past and present behavior, including behavior outside Gothic: Luisant spaces and behavior towards people who are not in the Gothic: Luisant community.
In order to protect volunteers from abuse and burnout, we reserve the right to reject any report we believe to have been made in bad faith after investigating said incident. Reports intended to silence legitimate criticism may be deleted without response.
Gothic: Luisant is not a legal body, and as such cannot provide due process.
We will respect confidentiality requests for the purpose of protecting victims of abuse. At our discretion, we may publicly name a person about whom we’ve received harassment complaints, or privately warn third parties about them, if we believe that doing so will increase the safety of Gothic: Luisant community members or the general public. We will not name harassment victims without their affirmative consent.
Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behavior, Staff reserves the right to take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including expulsion from all Gothic: Luisant spaces and identification of the participant as a harasser to other Gothic: Luisant members, the general public, or other third parties.